Thursday 23 April 2015

Threadless: Peanuts

So at first when I heard the theme was Peanuts I instantly thought of the nut. I wasn't even aware that the Charlie Brown comics were called Peanuts. So my first design as snoopy in a peanut costume, I was pushing the gross textures and so I completely covered his skin in drips and marks and spots. The only issue with doing this is that I chose to draw it to scale at A3 and it was really time consuming to fill the space with texture.
This one was too big to fit in the scanner in one piece, I was planning on doing a whole set of characters in peanut costumes but it took so long I decided it wasn't worth the time and I wasn't acheiving anything or learning anything by repeating the same design. I think I've just got too use to working in sets and sequences. So for this one I decided to do Charlie, Snoopy and Woodstock all together and gave them the creepy eyes I've enjoyed drawing lately. Again I was just pushing the gross, it is a creative crutch I use but when given the choice it's what I enjoy drawing. 



I did this one of Woodstock trying to keep the design relatively simple. I used a big permanent marker to draw it which was a big step away from my fine liners. The line quality was actually smoother but I don't like the rounded edges at the ends of lines. I think I should have gone back in with my fine liners just to adjust the tips of lines  to make them pointed. I need to look into getting some thick chisel tip markers because then I could achieve the line quality and sharp edges.






No comments:

Post a Comment