Saturday 7 November 2015

Bouquet

This weeks word was bouquet and I decided to use it as a break from my mermystery comic. But I made it relevant to my work now too. I did an underwater bouquet because I've been trying out lots of aquatic plant life and I've really enjoyed exploring it. And underwater plants are better because gravity doesn't really apply so things can be top heavy and ridiculous and they just float anyway.
I added little fish and eels because I'm trying to explore the cutter side of illustration. I'm deciding to tackle the charm issue in my other work. There is none. It's just gross and ugly. Which I like but I also know that it isn't the mainstream popular way to draw. I want to be prepared to do any kind of work so I'm just trying to improve my skills when the purpose is to charm.

I used coolers to choose my colours and to try and keep myself limited in colour. I went for a pastel, desaturated look because I think it gives a naivety to the piece and helps achieve that charm I'm going for. I made a background so that it wasn't completely floating spot and to just reinstate that it is underwater. I used a pastel palooza brush to rough up the edges of the square because at first the corners were too severe and I wanted to soften it a bit. So rounded corners and a grainy textured edge makes it seem hand made and there's a certain twee feeling to hand made things that I think adds charm.
I Signed this one so that if people are looking on the illustration friday sight they will see my illustration name and they can find my pages online if they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment