Monday 9 November 2015

Whimsical

This eels illustration friday word was whimsical. To start off I searched it in pinterest and had a look at the results but it is quite a non literal word so there were loads of different images. I decided to just go for the first idea I had because this brief is about learning to get work done quickly and well.
I decided to go with an astronaut toasting a marshmallow on the moon.
I went for an grey tone instead of black so that it wouldn't look sun a stark contrast between the space and the planets. Also the line work stands out from it well.

I used a faded brush, I don't normally use these brushes because I think it normally makes my work look awkwardly coloured in, also I'm heavy on line work so it feels like the line work should define the colour rather than it fading in and out of its own accord. But I think it worked well in this piece because its representing the suns glow and I wanted to communicate the heat and glow.

I checked online to get the planets in the right order. I continued my use of the glow brush to add a reflection of the sun on the sides of the planets.

I coloured in the bigger planets in quite bright hues because I want them to stand out especially the one he's sitting on.

My marshmallow: Further use of the glowing brush and straying from the colour scheme, but not too much. I'm still trying to not include too many different colours in my pieces to avoid over crowding. 


I used the pastel brush to get a grainy edge and then went throughout dabbing it over to create a worn texture. I don't normally use an all over texture but i wanted this piece to look more tactile.

I added my name to the bottom in case of any one seeing my post on illustration friday and wanting to know who i am. I also connected my Facebook page so people can get to my work easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment