Saturday 21 November 2015

Ten Minute Illustration

This weeks word was animal and although I didn't start it straight away I had been mulling it over in my mind most of the week. I decided I wanted to illustrate some lyrics to a song using the word animal. The song is Animal by Miike Snow

I was on a supersmall time scale here because I was going to my mother's for tea and I forgot that I needed to submit my illustration friday because I've normally done it earlier in the week. So i had about 15 minutes and I thought that it would be a good challenge to work to. I drew a human and I wanted his head to be an animal. I also wanted the main colour to be black because it made it look more hectic and out in the wilderness at night. I made the lyrics bend around his form and fill up as much of the space as possibly so it would all be busy around him and he would be blank so there would be high contrast. I drew the wolf in his head separate because I wanted to inverse it in photoshop so that it would be draw in white lines because again I wanted to heighten the contrast.

The final piece put together. I went for rich orange and yellow because they went with the whole wilderness theme because they are very earthy autumnal colours. I am relatively pleased with the overall pice because it was done so quickly and it still turned out acceptable quality. I think this is just an exercise in letting me know that I an draw out ideas to a finished quality relatively quickly. This will help me structure my time for future projects and know how much time to dedicate to idea generating.

Also my pub tea was great and i drew a decapitated head on a napkin and the waitress took it home.


No comments:

Post a Comment