Sunday 18 October 2015

MERMYSTERY

Me and Hollie applied for a table at ThoughtBubble earlier this year but we ended up not getting one, which really knocked my confidence as an illustrator. I figured it was because our table wasn't very popular and I think the set up was very messy and looked unprofessional. But we just got an email back the other day saying there's been some cancellations and would we like a table. This was super exciting, so they may have just rejected us because there we re so many applicants but I still feel we were of an unprofessional  quality. So this year were going to rock it professional style!

Since we only have a month to produce work I decided that I will make one main comic and then just make things around it to create a whole product range. I'm thinking badges, stickers, posters, postcards. There may be more as I've bought lots of arts and crafts things to keep me busy. I did have an idea to get my business card in with the comics. So last year my business card was a little slip of paper that slotted onto the corners of all my comics. I thought it was a good idea because it looked different and I thought it was quite a clever design. But there were flaws when I brought it into practice; They dropped off the corners constantly, since I didn't have bags a lot of people just dropped them, some people took it off the corner and left it when they bought something.
So this year my plan is to have regular business cards to hand out but inside my comic I'll use my 'shrinkies' paper to make mini hard plastic versions so that everyone who buys my comic has a little permanent business card. I'm going to package all my comics so that I can just have some display ones out for people to flick through but then when they buy it I can just whip out a beautifully packaged one. Also I'm going to bring bags or something to give to people with their purchase because we were asked a lot last year if we could give bags.

So my comic: The other night I was over at a friends house and we were meeting a new person there an she was talking about all these things she had done recently and she said that he had gone to a murder mystery night. But I misheard her and thought she said a mermystery night. Mermystery = Mermaid mystery. I thought it could be a fun concept to play with and that's what I'm going to do today. I think I'm going to write it in poetry because I think it really makes my comics more interesting and gives them pace and flow. Also if there's lots of words people cant just read it in seconds like last year. I might post later this evening if I manage to get a good amount done. Hopefully there's a vast sea of nautical rhyming words.


No comments:

Post a Comment