Thursday 21 January 2016

Tropical

This week's word is Tropical. At first I got set on the idea of having a cactus as the main part of this image. My first two roughs were cactus inspired, the first one was just a cactus with sunglasses on in the centre of two long pots filled with tropical vines. The second idea was a two panel shot in the first one there is a close up of a cactus with sunglasses and a lay on, second panel zooms out to show the cactus stood in the middle of an empty desert with tumbleweeds flowing past.


I finally decided to just draw out a bunch of tropical plants because it is something I enjoy drawing and it always helps to improve at it. I've slightly changed my favourite big leaf design, now instead of drawing an outline around the different colour smudges within it, I just filled the area with dots and let them dictate where the colour ended. I used lots of line as texture, much of them are very similar but just slight changes in the flow and spacing makes it represent a different plant.




For my colours I went with a selection of greens and filled in the plants trying to space out the colours as best I could so that the oversell effect would look balanced. I added the warm red/orange because it needed something to make it 'pop'. The greens looked  nice but it made the whole image absorb as one flat thing, whereas with this bit of bright it causers the viewer to pick out certain parts. When I posted this on social media I was complimented on my colour scheme but unfortunately Facebook had deeply saturated my pallet when it compressed it causing it to look lurid. I've been trying to shrink down and compress my jpegs now before I upload them to Facebook so they are a true representation of the work I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment