Thursday 21 January 2016

Wet

For this week I wanted to try playing with an image that didn't have any outline. But I wanted to keep my signature textures in the design. I created my design across two pieces of paper, on one I drew the outline of the image that I wanted which I was to scan in and use as a guide to colour around on another layer to make a completely block colour image. On a sheet of tracing paper I created all the textures I wanted, I still wanted to avoid using black though so I decided to colour in my texture lines in colours that contrasted the block colour they were on top of.


The problem with using tracing paper was that it kept moving while I was drawing over, so when it came to scanning it didn't quite match up in some areas. If i'm to use this technique again I should just use regular cartridge and a light box because it will be much sturdier and not move which will save me time when it comes to putting it together digitally.



I used a mix of coolers and my own picking to get my colour pallet. At first I liked it but looking back at it now I'm not quite as keen. The purple and yellow are significantly more saturated from the other colours and it makes the pairing awkward. But I do like how the texture lines look when they are coloured in contrasting colours. It makes them stand out much more, which I'm glad of because its the most time consuming part of my work.
I forgot to do my complimentary colour signature on this one, but there wasn't really an edge to put it on that was just one colour. Possibly I should have added the white border I did for some of my other pieces. 

I've now started following Illustration Friday on Facebook and realised they post their favourite picks throughout the week and then congratulate a winner which they liked the most. It is now my new goal to be one of their top picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment