Saturday 20 February 2016

3 More Poems


 Sertraline 
My body's on a mutiny 
organised by mind. 
I always knew they were conspiring against me. 
I blame the brain. 
It would send me into melt-down, 
throw me to the floor before I could catch my breath. 
Leave me wondering where I was 
and how to fix it. 
No answers. 
Then the sleep stopped. 
Wasn't happening, gone on strike. 
I pumped in the pills but she didn't like that. 
Oh no she didn't. 
That's when the body intervened. 
Physically tried to stop me, 
slowed me down in time 
and pinned me back. 
It hit me where it hurt, 
right in the guts and out up top 
spewing out and feeling down. 
Sometimes the bitch is still on my back 
trying to claw round my neck 
and remind me who's boss. 
But I won once. 

Damned if I don't beat it again. 

………………………………………….

 I lost my spark once you know. 
Poof - bubble burst. 
Lost in limbo. 
Told myself I didn't need words, 
that I could go mute 
and close up shop. 
And I did. 
No poems 
no prose 
no picturesque paragraphs 
describing dainty details 
of my demented demeanour. 
Not a squeak. 
Not for months 
and months. 
I let life loom over me, 
cast a shadow as a long as my nights 
and as black as my thoughts. 
I wasn't looking for what I found. 
I stumbled in and saw a face 
smiling back at me. 
I wasn't looking for what I found 
- but I found what I needed. 
My voice came back 
and wouldn't silence. 
My heart beat rapid 
and wouldn't stop. 
Everything opened 
and I could breathe again. 
When you found me. 

…………………………………………..

 A Kindness 
Hello again you. 
Congratulations. 
You made it. 
You had your doubts there, didn't you? 
There was a wibble 
then there was a wobble 
but look, here you are! 
No one can take that away from you. 
Not ever. 
You sat yourself down, 
emptied your head 
and started to let go. 
Those months seeped away 
through your tears 
and you jittered through the withdrawal 
when it felt no better. 
Yes it took time, 
but the best things do 
and she is ever so grateful 
you stopped. 
She thanks you for the second chance, 
for kicking the habit, 
finding yourself and others. 
She sends her love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment