Saturday 20 February 2016

Context: We're going on a Bear hunt

This book is aimed at younger children around key stage 1 which is 4-5/6 year old's and i under the age range i am looking at. I was looking at reviews and they said that the repetition of words is good for the language development of young children. I think this means a repetitive rhythm for my book would be too patronising. But the review also commented that it has a good use of sensory descriptions ( long, wavy grass, a deep, cold river, thick, oozy mud, a big, dark forest, a swirling, whirling snowstorms, and a narrow, gloomy cave). It says that this helps the child imagine themselves in the adventure. I think this is a bit simple thinking but the description words do make the story line more tangible and helps the children to learn a wide range of descriptive words. I think i'll try and get some more description words into my verses instead of just gunning for the plot points.


The pages are a mix of black and white and colour, usually alternating. I think this might partly be due to the printing costs of the time so they pre planned and did some in blak and white. I think i would prefer my book to b in full colour though.
The text in it is either clearly displayed in a blank area or is given a box. It seems important in children's literature to make it as legible as possible, pushing the clarity. I've inly tried out one page so far and im having the writing white ontop of a black background. I was thinking of adding texture in the background of it but with this in miind i won't and just try to keep the words as clear as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment