Saturday 20 February 2016

Context: Hildafolk

Hilda is much more contemporary a children's book and is the right age range that i am aiming for. The cover is using a big image to capture the attention but also adding pattern rather than realistic back grounds. I think this is because the pattern draws the attention to Hilda, it directs the line of sight. Rather than in the other books they were just large bright images without areal concentrated view point. I think i want my cover to be more resemblant of this one as it represents what i see as successful in children's illustration now.


I like how on the pages that are panelling there is a continuous image running behind them. It makes the story seem more flowing rather than jumping from plot point to plot point. I'm not sure if this would work for mine as the long format limits the panelling i can do. But i guess it could just work horizontal. All the writing in this book is speech as this is a much more sequential story wherea since i am dealing with poetry mine is more of a narrated story.


Pattern inlays seem to be a running thing in the children's books i've been looking at. I think this is something I definitely have to invest in. I like how this one uses elements of the book but much more simplified while keeping the recognisability. the simplicity of the images makes the pattern seem less crowded even though it is.
Also i like the little fold in part to have the information on and a logo, it looks really cute and it means the back of the book can be a beautiful image as well and not have to be plastered in text. I think this is something i will try to employ to get the best out of my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment